Horse Pond – Thomas
Sullivan/Scott Dean and Tracy St. Louis
113.8-acre property, one of three lots granted to the town school
when Greensboro was chartered in 1781, covers the western shore
of Horse Pond and a sizable chunk of hinterland. One passes
it (see photo below) on the left upon leaving Greensboro on
Route 16 north towards Glover and Barton. In December 2005 Dr.
Sullivan donated nearly the entire value of an easement on the
The easement allows for one single-family
residence near the old Turcott farmstead. Apart from two acres
of open land in that area, the property is largely wooded and
has been logged in recent years under a forest management plan.
In 2006 Dr. Sullivan conveyed the property to Scott Dean of
Sullivan/Dean property was once owned by the grandfather of
Tracy St. Louis of North Country Tree Care, who retained for
his family a one-acre enclave on the ridge overlooking Horse
Pond, featuring a spectacular rock formation (see adjacent photo).
In December 2005 Tracy and his wife Elizabeth sold an easement
on that parcel to the GLT, ensuring its protection in perpetuity
along with Dr. Sullivan’s surrounding forest.
Andy Skinner, a former part-time resident
of Greensboro, covered over half the GLT’s out-of-pocket
costs for the two easements, including two allocations to our
Stewardship Endowment. Andy made the donation in memory of his
wife Judith, a former GLT board member and lifelong crusader
for protection of the natural environment in New England, Maryland
For further information contact Clive Gray, chair
at 802-533-2609 (Oct.-May) or 802-533-7723 (June-Sept).
Greensboro Land Trust, Box
135, Greensboro, VT 05841