holding comprises a homestead of 36.2 acres on the west side
of Hillcrest Road that has been in Lewis Hill's family since
1809, and a managed forest of 25 acres on the road's eastern
side. In December 2004 Lewis and his wife Nancy donated an easement on both
parcels to the GLT. Lewis’s wife Nancy inherited the property on his death in 2008. Lewis’s grandnephew Warren III and his wife Laura purchased the property from Nancy in 2012.
A large portion of the Hills' western
boundary adjoins Shaun and Darren Hill’s land and the
Long Pond Natural Area along Sawmill Brook, after it drains
the pond. Forming most of the northern and western boundaries
of the new Green Mountain Monastery, the property has 792
feet of frontage along Hillcrest Road, a public highway with
Brian Hill, Lewis was a descendant of one of Greensboro's
original proprietors (1791) Peleg Hill, Sr. In 1809 Peleg's
grandson Aaron acquired land bordering Sawmill Brook and
soon opened a tavern along what was then a major north-south
thoroughfare. The family operated a sawmill and grist mill
on the brook into the late 1830s.
The Hills' present home was built in 1840.
The easement allows a maximum of one
residence, on the west side of Hillcrest Road, in addition
to the existing five-acre homestead complex.